Department of Computer and Information Science
University of Pennsylvania
571 Levine North
3330 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
E-mail: alawini (at) cis (dot) upenn (dot) edu
I am a postdoctoral research fellow in the Department of Computer and Information Science (CIS) at The University of Pennsylvania. My research interests are broadly in the field of databases, with a focus on scientific data management. I am particularly interested in applying machine learning methods to various problems of modern data management systems.
- [January 15, 2018] Submitted two papers to the Data Bulletin of the IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Data Engineering
- Data Citation: A New Provenance Challenge. Abdussalam Alawini, Susan Davidson, Gianmaria Silvello, Val Tannen, Yinjun Wu
- Provenance Analysis for Missing Answers and Integrity Repairs. Jane Xu, Waley Zhang, Abdussalam Alawini, and Val Tannen
- [January 1st, 2018]: I will be teaching Database and Information Systems this Spring.
- A. Alawini, L. Chen, S. B. Davidson, N. Portilho Da Silva and G. Silvello, “Automating Data Citation: The eagle-i Experience,” 2017 ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), Toronto, ON, 2017, pp. 1-10.
- Abdussalam Alawini, Susan B. Davidson, Wei Hu, and Yinjun Wu. 2017. Automating data citation in CiteDB. Proc. VLDB Endow. 10, 12 (August 2017), 1881-1884.
- Abdussalam Alawini, Identifying Relationships between Scientific Datasets. 2016. Dissertations and Theses. Paper 2922.
- Abdussalam Alawini, David Maier, Kristin Tufte, Bill Howe, and Rashmi Nandikur. 2015. Towards automated prediction of relationships among scientific datasets. In Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management (SSDBM ’15), Amarnath Gupta and Susan Rathbun (Eds.). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Article 35, 5 pages.
Abdussalam Alawini, David Maier, Kristin Tufte, and Bill Howe. 2014. Helping scientists reconnect their datasets. In Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management (SSDBM ’14). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Article 29, 12 pages.
W Zehr, A Alawini, M Alharbi, M Borgan. Call Tracking Technology Selection Model. 2014. Technology Development.
A. Alawini, N. Tanatanmatorn, D. Tucker, K. Tucker, T. Daim. Technology Adoption: Building IT. 2013. Research and Technology Management in the Electricity Industry, 213-228
HONORS, AWARDS, and AFFILIATIONS:
- Class of 2016 student speaker at PSU commencement ceremony, 2016, Portland State University.
- President’s Award for University Service, 2015, Portland State University.
- International Academic Achievement Award, 2013, Honor Society.
- International Student Academic Stand Out, 2013, Golden Key International Honor Society.
- Graduate Research Assistance Scholarship, 2012, Portland State University.
- University of Tripoli Scholarship Award, 2007, The Libyan Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research.